Called to Serve

Called to Serve

Monday, December 2, 2013

Transfer Week


I'm officially done being trained!  Yay!  But really I still have no idea what I'm doing haha but whatever!  This week has been awesome and super tiring with all the exchanges that I went on. . .again!  Tuesday I went into Korean work with Elder Kang.  It was fun.  We went to the stake center and made a tracting list of Koreans and went tracting for about 2 hours.  We only talked to 2 Koreans.  One of them was through the window.  Korean work is weird.  When the Korean Elders start talking to a korean, they don't just start talking korean to them, they start in English, then they ask if they're korean and start talking in Korean.  I think they should just start talking in Korean instead of asking if they're korean or not.  I don't know though because I'm not in Korean work.  Anyways, I feel bad for Elder Kang.  He hasn't had much experience with contacting people, and he's not the greatest at the language yet.  I kind of took the lead until he would ask if they're korean.  He's learning though and he is super humble and willing to work.  I love the guy.  He's from Georgia and he was in Jeff Hunters MTC district.  We get along really well. 
On Wednesday, I went outside of my area again with Elder Holdaway who is Elder Swyers trainer.  Elder Holdaway has only been out one transfer longer than me.  He's from Payson Utah and is in a bike area.  I love going into bike areas.  It's so much more fun than being in a car because you can talk to everybody and you just feel good!  I worked on finding by the spirit with Elder Holdaway.  He is probably the most awkward missionary I have been contacting with.  He doesn't really like finding, but I tried to help him out the best I could.  I found myself dominating in some situations, but I couldn't really help it.  Basically what he would do is go up to somebody and ask them to read the book of mormon with little or no explanation at all.  It was just weird.  He's really good at teaching though as well as working with members.  He can talk to members just fine and he's a really fun guy, but he doesn't know how to talk to strangers.  He's learning though.  I learned a lot from him too.  Him and Elder Swyers work really well with members, which is something that Elder Ehninger and I could improve on.  We ended up finding two solid potential investigators that day though!  AJ was a guy we found working in his garage.  Him and his wife have been going to a couple different churches and they know the bishop of those Elders ward.  We gave them a Book of Mormon and invited them to church and they said that they could stop by after the holidays.  The other potential we found was Slem.  He's Israeli.  He was born in Germany and went to a ton of different religion schools.  He told us that he had a lot of questions that Jews, Catholics and a ton of religions couldn't answer.  I asked him what those questions were and he wouldn't tell me.  We ended up giving him a Book of Mormon and I told him that all the questions that he has could be answered by reading that book.  He said he would read it.  He told us he's read the Torah, Quaran and the whole bible and knows a lot of religious history.  He knows something is there, but he is just searching.  He asked if he could come to our church too!  It was cool.  He said that we could meet with him as well.  I dominated in that one super bad.  I felt bad that I didn't let Elder Holdaway get a word in. We almost didn't knock Slems door.  We walked past it and I got a prompting to turn around and knock on it so I did. Anyways, he was a cool guy.  Thursday was thanksgiving!  Yaaaaay!  It was good.  We went to the Estrada's for dinner which was nice.  It's not the same, but it was nice.  We have so many left overs!  We did weekly planning on Thursday as well which took a super long time.  Friday, I went into Elder Bulger and Elder Baughans area with Elder Bulger.  Contacting with him was weird too, but we found two potential investigators!  It was good.  Elder Bulger is a little big headed though.  He's always talking about how his patriarchal blessing says that he's going to be close with his mission president or something.  He interprets that as, "I'm going to be an assistant."  It's super annoying.  Other than that he's great.  Sorry about telling you all the faults other missionaries have.  Really I love them all, I just haven't been with my real companion as much as I would have liked.  He's the best.  Anyways, Saturday was amazing!  Jezebel, Selvin and his grandma Lucy came to a baptismal service.  They all loved it!  They all came to church on Sunday too!  Lucy loved gospel principles and Relief society.  She told us that she would be back next week because she liked it so much!  The Palomino's came to church too!  We haven't had any contact with them for the past couple of weeks so we were really surprised.  They only stayed for Sacrament meeting, but we were glad they were there!  We had 5 investigators at church!  It was crazy! Crazy awesome!  We're going to try and set a baptismal date with Lucy, Selvin and his mom this week, but we'll see what happens.  I forgot to tell you that on Saturday we got transfer calls and on Sunday we got leadership calls.  Elder Ehninger is being transferred to a car area to be a zone leader.  I called it!  Elder Holdaway is training again and Elder Swyers is being transferred.  Elder Kang and Qualls are both being transferred as well.  Also our area is splitting.  We're getting two sisters this coming transfer.  As for me, I'm staying as well and its safe to say that I'm going to be a district leader buddy again.  No one in our district got a leadership call for district leader so they have to be importing one.  Transfer meeting is tomorrow.  There's a chance that my companion right now might be made zone leader over Valencia because Elder Chandler is being transferred as well.  That would be so cool!  Anyways  I loved all of the Thanksgiving letters from the family!  Its so good to hear from everyone!  I just want to say that I'm thankful for all the support that I have received thus far on my mission!  Sorry you were sick after thanksgiving!  I couldn't be doing this without you all!  I love you! 
 
Elder Nelson

No comments:

Post a Comment