Called to Serve

Called to Serve

Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Week 2 of Crazy

Oh my gosh this week was so tiringly busy with helping out missionaries.  Since I've been here, I haven't had one normal day of just pure missionary work in my own area.  We've had to do so much driving going all around the zone to help out other missionaries.  It's tough and right now I honestly would rather just be a normal missionary that gets to work in his own area and not worry about other missionaries.  That would be nice, but enough of my complaining.  I love the missionaries in my zone and I love the fact that I get to serve them and I know the Lord wants me to learn from having this assignment.  Its been fun, but frustrating, but that's just how missionary work is.  That's how everything in life is.  You just got to make it fun even if it is frustrating.  Anyways, let me tell you about the week.  It's been real fun and I'm learning a ton, only because of my love for god and is only begotten son.  (Like my rhyming?)
So after I emailed last week, we had to drive some missionaries up to the office last week for interviews with president.  President was about two hours behind schedule, so we were up there for about 3 hours.  We then had to drive all the way back to Burbank and drop those missionaries off, and then drive up to Sylmar and bring those Elders up to the office to fill out and car accident report.  They had gotten in a car accident the night before.  that took about 2 more hours.  We then came back and worked for the last couple hours of the day.  The next day we took our preparation day since we didn't get one on Monday.  We went up to the Hollywood bowl lookout which is the border of our mission.  It was so cool!  You can see all of L.A. and the Hollywood sign.  It's over in Studio City.  There are some huge houses over there.  A lot of movie stars live over in those hills.  It was sweet.  We did do some service that morning for one of our potential investigators named Dana.  She's crazy and is a hoarder.  She has so much junk just lying all over her house and garage and her yard probably hadn't been cut in over 6 months.  It was long.  She is also a rock collector, so she had this giant pile of rocks that we helped her sort out.  We cut her grass using an old lawn cutter tool with a blade on the end that you swing back and forth.  it was fun and she appreciated our help.  That night we knocked and found a really solid family that wants to listen to us.  They've kept in contact with us all week, but keep pushing appointments back, so hopefully we'll be able to teach them this week.  Their names are Ed and Jamie.  They have 3 kids and are super cool.  Wednesday we had Mission Leadership Council (MLC) where all the zone leaders, sister training leaders, and assistants and president get together and council on how the mission is doing, what we can improve on and where we want to focus our efforts.  It's a 9:00 to 5:00 meeting and it was awesome.  We got a lot of training from President and Sister Hall trained some too.  The mission as of right now is not doing as well as it was at the start of the year.  Everything has gone down.  New investigators, lessons, baptisms, you name it.  We talked a lot about 1 Nephi 16 where Nephi's bow breaks and how the bow lost its spring and how we can make our own bows like Nephi by doing all that we can.  it was super good.  We talked a lot about the mission training plan and how we can focus more on that and how we can better work with members.  All of the counsel and ideas posed help us prepare for our zone training meeting that Friday, which we have once a month.  It was super awesome and I received a ton of revelation on how we can help and inspire the missionaries in our zone, as well as how I can improve myself.  I loved it.  I got to see Mitchell Bagely there too.  We went to high school together and is a zone leader on the Spanish side, so that was fun.  Thursday morning we planned out our zone training meeting with the Sister Traning leaders and then went over to a struggling companionship's apartment to talk to them and help them resolve things with each other.  Neither missionary would open up and they told us that things are going better, but neither of them are happy and they're not working well together at all.  We set up an exchange with them.  The rest of the day we had a weekly planning session and then went on splits withmembers visiting less active families and part member families.  Friday, we spent 6 hours in the emergency room.  I ended up breaking my arm in three places. . . not really, but we really did spend 6 hours in the hospital that day.  We went up to the church for Zone training meeting that morning which was supposed to start at 8:30.  We got a call at 8:30 from some elders.  he told us that his companion, elder Choi, had gotten in a bike accident on the way there and that the paramedics were there and the cops were on their way.  We told the STL's to take over ZTM and we rushed over there.  We pulled up and saw this elder sitting on a flatbed trailer with 3/4 of his face bandaged up, blood all over his arms and face and a pool of blood on the ground.  Paramedics were surrounding him and putting him on a gurney.  We talked to his companion, and he told us that he had been waving to someone and didn't see the trailer and ran into it with his bike and flipped onto it and hit his face on the bed of the trailer.  The paramedic told us that he would need stitches and might have a concussion.  We then grabbed the bikes and went back to the church and told the zone what happened, and said a prayer for elder Choi.  We had to have the STLs do the whole training since we had to go to the hospital.  Elder Choi refused all pain medication while he was there.  he had to have like 30 stitches along his face and while he was there had two cat scans.  he fractured three of the bones surrounding his eye socket.  Elder Choi is Korean and doesn't speak much English.  This is his first transfer in English work.  He is tough!  I love the guy.  It was a crazy day that day.The next two days were great though with General Conference!  I loved it!  I loved it all!  Some of my favorite talks were President Uchtdorfs talk the Saturday morning session and absolutely loved President Monson's talk in the Priesthood session.  They were all so good and I got so much revelation from them.  Another cool thing we did this week is contact a movie star, well not really a star, but he's in a lot of t.v. shows like Scrubs and That 70's show.  he played Zultan in Dude where's my car.  I've never seen it nor watched any of those shows, but he was really receptive to us and told us to come back this week!  Watch out, we might start teaching a famous person!  That'd be so cool! 
Well There's the highlights of  my week for ya!  I'l loving it here.  Knocking doors is great and this ward is great.  I love the zone and I love this gospel.  My testimony is growing everyday and I know that the Lord has sent me here specifically to declare His word!  I love you all!
Elder Nelson 

No comments:

Post a Comment